Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Awards Banquet Night

Well, I sure am being friendly with the posts today, it makes up for all those comments I got from yesterday.  I'll finish telling you about my day at school.  I have this huge group project in my 5640 group communication class.  I'll tell you a brief bit of what we have to do in this but I'm warning you its a little abstract and makes your brain hurt.  We have been in the same 3 member group since the beginning of the semester in January.  We now how to step back and analyze how are group performs tasks, its process, its models and cycles.  We then need evidence to back up our findings.  So basically we're analyzing and doing a report on something while we're making the report, yeah exactly my feelings it can make your brain hurt.  Anyway, we've been collecting data for about 3 weeks now and over the last week we started finding research to back up what we found.  Since I was the only one there in class on Monday I decided we really needed something to get the ball rolling for the presentation.  We had all our evidence and research it was just really hard getting it into a form we could show the class. That is what I stayed up last night doing.  So, that brings us to class today because I started the presentation we finally got a ton of work done.  We were thinking we may have to meet this weekend which I was totally trying to avoid.  Luckily, we got most everything sorted out and we'll just go over minor things and we'll be ready to present next Wednesday-I'll let you know how it goes.  So that finished off my afternoon of course I stopped at the gas station and got me a fountain diet coke then came home to get ready for the banquet.  I'll know explain what that is.  The actual Department of Communication Awards Banquet is an annual event held at the LIttle America with a dinner and reception of honored alumni and presenting student scholarships for the upcoming year.  Many of you may know I used to work in that department so I've been two years in the past, but I've always had to work at it handing out nametags and stuff.  So finally my night came where I went as a scholarship recipient.  I'll tell you how I got there.  I remember it was on Valentine's Day I had gone down to Provo to go to an early dinner at the Orem chuck-a-rama with Joed when I called my mom to let her know what I was doing.  She was like oh by the way there's a message on the machine for you about some KSL scholarship.  I was like what??? are you serious?  So she let me listen to it and it was exactly what I thought it was.  When I used to work in the department this Bonneville/KSL/Rodney H. Brady scholarship was one of the most prestigious awarded.  There are six nominees(its by nomination only) by a group of professors in the department.  So when I heard I was nominated I was extremely excited.  I had to fill out an extensive application as well as interview with six vice presidents of KSL and Bonneville.  Being a 20 year old college student I was extremely nervous and truly thought there's no hope I got that and consider it amazing I was even nominated.  The next day I opened my email at work to Congratulations!  You've been awarded the scholarship.  I seriously screamed at work I was so excited.  I think I scared everyone, luckily our lobby wasn't yet open, but I really didn't think I'd get it.  Anyway, that's what brings us to the banquet tonight.  One of my old professors introduced me and the other recipient and Nadine Whimmer of KSL gave us the certificate.  He gave us both a nice introduction and we had to walk all the way to the front of the room for this to get recognized and of course all the pictures(it is a media major)  My dad made a joke he could see me shaking up there and I thought he really could it was extremely scary and I'm glad I had gone to the bathroom before haha.  Nadine Whimmer kept saying congratulations you guys this is so good for you, you'll go really far that really hit me someone as prominent as her recognizing me for that.  Other local media figures were there as well because the director of news at KUTV was receiving one of the distinguished alumni awards(the news cameras were there so I'm sure they'll air it at some point)  KSL also told me they were going to do a press release on it and I had to send in my picture and a statement on it, they never did tell me when it would be on.  Since the banquet was tonight I'm not sure if it'll be sometime tomorrow or since KSL awards them to all schools in Utah, they'll wait until their presentations.  Anyway, I also got to meet and get a picture with Rodney H. Brady himself and talk with him for a few minutes.  It was a really cool night although I still feel like little old KayCee as a kid just living my life.  ANyway, if my dad ever develops the film-who knows maybe 5 years from now-I'll post a picture with Nadine Wimmer and Rodney H. Brady from tonight.  Well I had quite an eventful night and my homework is still waiting right by me haha 

0 comments: